Label Solutions has been in the commercial label production industry since 1989. In today’s blog, our experts answer several frequently asked questions about commercial label production.
What are commercial labels?
Commercial label production companies design, print, create, and make labels that adhere to most substrates, including plastic, glass, metal, textured surfaces, and painted surfaces.
Because each commercial label production run is different, companies must custom-make them for each run before printing them for whatever numbers retailers or wholesalers need.
What are the different types of commercial labels?
There are four types:
- Brand labels that simply show a brand name or logo on them.
- Grade labels to show the quality of a product.
- Descriptive labels to highlight information about a feature, such as handling or care instructions.
- Informative labels showcase information and data about a product, such as ingredients, contents, expiration dates, address of manufacturer, and any warnings.
What are industrial labels?
Commercial label production companies print industrial labels to keep track of and identify products and assets while maintaining compliance with safety regulations.
Industrial labels are also designed to withstand harsh environments such as extreme heat, extreme cold, exposure to chemicals, and exposure to moisture.
What are commercial labels made of?
They come in many different materials, including these popular choices:
- Biaxially oriented polypropylene (BOPP)
- Paper, such as high-gloss, foil, litho, and semi-gloss
- Polyester, including white, metal, and clear
- Vinyl, like static cling, security, destructible, industry, and tamper-proof .
What determines the materials of commercial labels?
Several factors go into the choice of materials:
- Conditions under which the substrates will be stored
- Temperature versus permanent placement
- Ease of removability
- Types of adhesives needed.
What are the steps of commercial label production?
Label production runs undergo several steps before being shipped to customers.
- Initial consultation with a production company.
- Design of the labels, if needed.
- Operators make sure the label specs and approved designs are entered into the computer properly.
- Operators run a sample to perform quality control checks.
- Rewinders double-check the commercial labels wind into rolls properly for affixing to products later.
- Full production runs happen.
- Labels are checked one last time before being shipped to customers.
How long does it take to complete a commercial label production run?
Many companies require two to four weeks of lead time to complete a run of custom labels for your products. Some companies can reduce that production time with expedited service.
How many commercial label production companies are there in the United States?
More than 3,300 label suppliers are in the United States, according to Thomas Publishing Company, a leading directory of industrial companies.
What commercial labels require compliance with applicable laws and regulations in the United States?
Several types of products require certain standards in order to be sold in the United States, including:
- Commodities sold by weight, volume or some other specific measure
- Medical devices
- Nutraceuticals and supplements
- Flammable objects.
Why should I hire a commercial label producer?
Companies should hire a commercial label production company because they are a team of professionals who can help you with the graphic design, size, materials, adhesives, and typography of your product or industrial labels.
Label Solutions can help your company achieve the best possible commercial labels for your products. Contact us or call 1-800-299-9200 for more information.